The Chancery Club of Los Angeles was founded in 1925. Inspired in part by the example of the English Inns of court, the Club’s elected membership is composed of distinguished lawyers who are also active in professional, civic, and philanthropic organizations. Although a club charter was adopted originally, for most of its eighty-three years, the Club has operated without a formal charter or by-laws.
Throughout its history, Chancery Club members have held positions of honor and responsibility in important legal, judicial, academic, governmental, and civic organizations. For example, many members have served on the Board of Governors of The State Bar of California and on the Board of Trustees of the Los Angeles County Bar Association. Although judges are not eligible for election to membership, many Chancery Club members have been appointed to the federal and state benches and thereafter can continue their membership.
The Club meets twice a month, September to June, usually for a luncheon. Each meeting features a speaker, and several have become traditional. For example, the Club annually hosts the Chief Justice and other members of the Supreme Court of California, the leadership and civil litigation judges of the Los Angeles Superior Court, the justices of the Second Appellate District of the Court of Appeal, the judges of the United States District Court for the Central District of California, the president of the State Bar of California and the president of the Los Angeles County Bar Association. Other luncheon speakers have included leading state and local officials, prominent lawyers, leaders of academic institutions, legal scholars and notable figures from business, the arts and the media.
The Club also hosts an annual holiday party in December and the Spring Dinner, at which newly elected members are inducted.